Wednesday 30 July 2008

Tired but reducing

Been a few long and hot days, but looks like I'm nearer getting hold of some new bead presses and special mandrels (basically a metal rod the molten glass is wound onto) I've been after for a little project I have in mind - watch this space!

I have been concentrating on focal pendant beads, and I think I have finally got the idea now, some very interesting effects now coming out, and in twenty minutes I'll go and check on a few to see if the metal reflective finish has stayed on one of the beads or vanished as it does with this weird reducing glass.

One of the exciting projects has been off mandrel work with 'implosion beads' which produces sexy paperweight effects with swirls and flowers inside a large dollop of glass. Of course what really happens is all goes well until I try removing the bulk of the rod from the new pendant which suddenly slips free and rolls away still orange hot, denting and picking up fluff and grot as it sears away the floorboards!

No comments: